Rapier combat has been popular in the shire for many years now. It involves attempting to recreate the style of armed combat practiced by civilians during the Renaissance, and (thanks to recently expanded SCA rapier rules) slightly earlier. This is the style of combat that eventually turned into the modern sport of Olympic fencing.
The Shire of Adamastor holds weekly rapier practices. As with armoured combat, there are strict safety regulations to which we adhere, but these are not difficult to apply, and we have loaner gear. Anyone interested in trying rapier combat or wanting to learn more is welcome to contact the rapier marshal.
Some rapier links:
- The Kingdom Specific Regulations page in The Kingdom of Drachenwald Earl Marshal’s section contains the Society and Kingdom’s rules for rapier under the heading ‘Fencing’
- Elizabethan Fencing and the Art of Defence is owned by William Wilson, President of the Tattershall School of Defence; he is known in the SCA as Meistr Gwylym ap Owain
- Alchem Incorporated has lovely daggers
- Darkwood Armory produces beautiful weapons
- James the Just provides some nice blades like the Hanwei practice rapier
- Lutel has some magnificent rapiers as well as display weapons
- Salvator Fabris a 16thC Rapier Master